Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Dsc_2272

I just got back some of the layouts I did for the store I use to work at. This one includes a school themed line that no one knew what to do with. So, for the record, I wouldn't normally put these colors and papers together. I'm planning on redoing this page with paper I like. But, colors and designs aside, it's the story that I want to share. I wrote a letter to my mom and dad, and they haven't seen it yet. So, this is for both my parents, but I thought I'd post it for Mother's Day.

To see the journaling better, you can click on the photo to see it larger, or just read it here:

Dear Mom & Dad,

You always told me to do my best. You never gave up on me. You kept me going. All because of what you taught me. Your decision to homeschool me for 3 years was one of the best choices you could have made. Angry at the world, resentful of teachers and hating school, you knew something must be done or who knows where I'd end up. Labeled a problem child by the school, you knew better. I just didn't lean the way they taught: Hurry up and put everything away, we're moving on to Math. Now we're doing History. C'mon hurry up. We're done with that now. No, you need to help this group of students because you already understand. Not everyone gets it, we need to wait and spend more time on this. (The movie Office Space comes to mind - "Now Milton, don't be greedy, pass it along until EVERYONE gets a piece." Not that I had seen that movie..I don't think it was even out at age 10.) By teaching me at home, you opened many doors for me; let me open a few myself even. I re-learned that valuable thing called respect. And maybe how to learn and that it was cool and fun...and that I was really good at it.. If not for these 3 years, 6th, 7th & 8th grade would have done me in. Because of you and the phrase, "Study Hard," I wanted to be a good student. Top 15 in my graduating class, National Honor Society, and a long list of accomplishments. That was because of you. Marquette University. Not possible without my college prep highschool learning to back me up. 3.2 GPA in 3.5 years at MU. I've learned how to learn, how to study, how to think critically and creatively because of you two. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is thank you. {heart} always, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment